Victory Mount at Las Vegas, New Mexico
This is Victory Mount outside of Las Vegas, New Mexico. It was formerly known as the Santa Fe Railroad Hospital. In 1925 Fr. Sigstein realized that they would be opening more mission centers in New Mexico. He wanted a place that was centrally located where Catechists could come together for retreats and other community gatherings, rather than have the expense of bringing the Catechists back to Indiana. When he heard that this building was for sale, he asked for prayers that the Community might be able to obtain it. The building was purchased by Peter and Julia O'Donnell for $4500.00 in December of 1925 and given to the Missionary Catechists for Christmas. The O'Donnells were early benefactors of the Catechists. The Catechists did not occupy the building until the following summer, because it had not been used for a few years and needed repairs and a good cleaning. Catechists came in from various mission centers throughout New Mexico to assist in the cleaning.